Get some sleep!

How was your weekend? Ours was busy with Espen's birthday party and all that entailed (before, during and after), but Nick and I also managed to sneak in a quick date to the symphony, complete with babysitter and some very tasty dessert for after (Gourmandise, you had me at "Chocolate Raspberry Mousse Cake"). We got engaged February 12 2005, so we always celebrate big on our "engageaversary" and then spend a quiet Valentine's Day at home, just the two of us. 


After a weekend like that, it was hard to drag my little self to the gym this morning, but I went, and I am so glad that I did. I've been managing to make it twice a week, and am starting to enjoy it. Especially because I've gone all Malibu and signed up with a personal trainer! Our gym offers them, and so I'll be meeting with Tanya once a week. I've been a little hesitant to mention this on my blog (or anywhere, really!) because this is very much out of my own little comfort zone, but I felt like I needed some help to make sure I was using my time at the gym wisely, and like I could use some help learning to use the equipment that is available to me. So, the bottom line is that taking small steps towards a healthier me here on the blog has lead me to taking a few bigger steps as well! 

Lest you think I've gotten too cool for my own blog project, let me assure you that I'm going to keep going with my Small Steps. And this week I'm going to be focusing on getting enough sleep.

My sleepy guys, two years ago this week. 

I am convinced that I can't be the only one with this problem: I just cannot seem to get myself to bed on time. I get up early with Espen and stay up late to spend time with Nick, and between the two I just keep cutting myself short in the sleep department. The silly thing is that I love sleeping once I'm in bed. Getting there is the tricky part. 

And sleep is so important! Besides making sure we can function on a basic level (anyone who's ever cared for a newborn can tell you what it's like to not get enough sleep!), getting enough sleep helps regulate your metabolism, improves memory, strengthens your immune system, boosts your mood and can even help you lose weight, to name just a few benefits. You can read more about it here, here, here and here

OK, so here's the challenge for the week: 
  • Every day this week (excluding the weekend) I will put down whatever it is I'm doing and head upstairs to bed at 11 PM. This will allow me to be asleep by 11:30 PM, which will give me 8 hours of sleep before 7:30 AM, which is when Espen typically wakes up. Should be simple enough, right? 
Of course this isn't a one-size-fits-all challenge, if you are joining in. Everyone's schedules are different, and everyone's sleep needs are different too. But I think we all know what we need to feel good, and it just so happens that I need about eight hours. Just decide on when you need to be asleep by, and then skooch yourself off to bed before that. 

Good night and good luck! 

Comments

  1. Good for you! I would LOVE a personal trainer, but my mums got one, and I don't see dad paying for two!- I doubt I can join in with the sleep thing frankly- on a school night I'm lucky if I get three or four hours, It's something I have a really hard time with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ACK! Sleep is always the most difficult thing for me to prioritize. I'm also a bit behind on the working out, but think I found a remedy to that situation. I think its really cool that you signed up with a trainer! I've always wanted to try that! Eager to hear how things go!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts