Project Baby: The loveliest baby shower

I really don't consider myself to be a particularly boastful person, but when it comes to our friends I will tell you time and time again that man, we lucked out! In spite of being fairly nerdy people who spend most of our evenings eating cookies and watching movies (mostly nerdy ones) and geeking out over things like early Scandinavian language development, we have somehow managed to surround ourselves with friends that are kind, creative, generous, talented, intelligent, funny and endlessly caring and giving.

As evidenced by our baby shower.

A few Saturdays ago, dear Stepper (Mother of Mothers and Neigbour Extraordinaire) threw us the loveliest baby shower I have ever seen. Granted, I might be a little biased on the subject, seeing as not only was it was our baby shower, it also involved chubby birds and a menu specifically geared towards my pregnancy cravings. But let me tell you about it, and we'll see if you don't come around to my way of thinking.

First of all, there was the invitation:



Stepper just happens to be married to Bill, who just happens to be a magically skilled graphic designer, who just happened to be willing to donate his time to the creation of chubby birds and umbrellas. Thanks to Bill, I will now have to learn how to scrapbook just so I can sufficiently preserve this cuteness for posterity.

Then there was the food. Oh, the food! A few days before the shower, Stepper asked me if there were any foods I had been especially wanting or not wanting lately, and I told her that I've been absolutely loving fruit lately. (Which is not only true, but also reminds me that there are some apples in the kitchen. I'll be right back. )


We had oranges and grapefruit and a lovely salad with strawberries and nuts in it (I think I had three helpings!) and cucumber sandwiches and an asian chicken salad and cupcakes (with sprinkles!) and pain chocolat and an adorable cake topped with more chubby birds! And more. It makes me hungry just thinking about it.

Next, we have to talk about the activity. Knowing about our great affinity for wooden toys, Stepper had bought a bunch of little wooden cars for all the guests to decorate for our little boy to play with. Because, as we have learned from Stepper's son Wyatt, you can never have too many cars. Ever.



The cars were all painted with non-toxic, non-smelly paint (in consideration of the half the guests being pregnant) and once they had dried, Stepper treated the cars so they would all be non-toxic and baby safe.



The other thing I loved about this activity were how it gathered people to chat and get to know each other. And hooray, we get about 20 little toy cars for our little boy to play with.

And lest this become a post entirely devoted to my adoration of Stepper and her party throwing skills, let me tell you about some of the other guests:

  • Nick's family drove up from St. George in a snowstorm and absolutely showered us with gifts. Then Nick's dad disappeared into the kitchen during the party games and gift opening so he could devote some serious time and effort into painting cars for his grandson.
  • My mum and dad showed up all the way from Norway via Skype! They were able to meet a lot of our friends, and "give" us some shower gifts of their own. Sometimes living in the future is a grand thing :)
  • Amy not only drove down from Salt Lake, but gave us a set of five hand-stamped onesies that she had made herself.
  • Aubrey saved me from the unknown perils of nursing by putting together a complete kit for me, which was wonderful, because I've been so in the dark about what to get!
  • Annika came early, stayed late, brought food and generally helped out for the whole shower.
  • And absolutely everyone overwhelmed us with their kindness and generosity. I had the same happy and grateful feeling that I felt throughout our wedding day, being reminded of just how many good and selfless people we have in our life.

Of course there was a lot of this going on:


Which resulted in a tremendous haul of loot to bring home. We practically had a second shower when we got home and looked through all of our gifts again. And thanks to the amazingly good taste and forethought of our friends, we ended up not having to exchange anything! And... Stepper sent the cake home with us.

Such a lovely day.

PS: You can also read Stepper's post about hosting the shower here.

Comments

  1. I love the birds and CUTE decorations behing your heads as your opening presents! She did a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what delightful friends! such a lovely sounding time! good luck for the big day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tess: I know, the decorations were outstanding! That little Stepper just doesn't have any breaks on her awesomeness.

    Madsta: Like I said, somehow we just got lucky and have the most amazing friends! It was such a fun day :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts