Project Cheer: I have a project and you can help!

My dad has cancer.

Throughout the month or so since we've found out, my family has gone through endless cycles of feelings of shock, confusion, anger, fear, regret, hope, optimism and lots and lots of love. Ultimately, we think it's going to be OK.
However, the next couple of months for my Daddy-o will be filled with radiation therapy, chemo, surgery and endless trips back and forth from the hospital. Lots of stress and worry. And meanwhile, here on the other side of the world, there is so little I can do and it's driving me crazy.

On the day we found out, I spent a few hours in shock and a few hours crying in Nick's arms. The feeling of helplessness was almost overwhelming. Then I remembered some friends who were having a much, much harder day than mine (believe me!) and I thought: "Well, at least we can do something for them." So we dried my tears, washed my face and sneakily planted some flowers in their garden to surprise them when they got home.

And we felt so much better.

Which got me thinking: My dad isn't really one for get well cards and sentimental goop. But he is one for helping people. In fact, one of the things that made my mum fall in love with my dad was his kindness and ever-readiness to help. And my parents both taught me to value kindness. While I was growing up I may not always have appreciated sharing our family Christmas with the random elderly bachelors of the neighbourhood, but looking back with adult eyes, I'm impressed by my parents willingness to help and to share. My dad has always been willing to do anything for anyone. But that will probably not be possible for the next few months.

This is where you come in.

Will you go out and do something unselfish and kind for someone else in honor of my dad? While he's out of commission, will you fill in for him as part of the Helpful Brigade? And when you've completed your kindness, will you come back here and leave a comment or send me an email (tamsinrobole at gmail dot com) and tell me about it, so I can tell him about it? I think he's going to like this.

Thank you.

Comments

  1. This reminds me of that movie "Pay It Forward". And I'll help out in any way that I can. =) Sending hugs your way too! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about your dad's situation, though I'm glad to hear that you are starting this Project to help others. There are always ways we can help others if we just open up our hearts. Thanks for reminding me! I'm glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Cheryl! It's always good to hear from you.

    Hillary, I'm glad you found me too!Thanks for your kind words. We often think of you guys when we're in your neck of the woods in Orem, although you may have moved any number of times for all we know. It's good to hear from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ack! Hugs for your little daddy. I will promptly enlist myself in the Helpful Brigade. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart is squeezed, both for the hard things your dad has to go through and for the sweet way you've responded. I will definitely be keeping my eyes out for ways to be a helping hand!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeg skal gjøre så godt jeg kan, Tammy - jeg er i samme situasjon selv med min far. Det er mange tanker som surrer rundt og mye en ikke vil tenke på. Men det gjelder nå og det gjelder alltid - det er bare å gjøre det beste ut av hver dag:) Ellers har jeg nå brukt dagene på vår gamle barneskole Lund. Sitter der og mimrer mens jeg registrerer alle bøkene på biblioteket(der hvor det var kjøkken tidligere).

    Stor klem herfra!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trish, hugs for you too! I know that you will be a most helpful helpy helper helperington :)

    Amy, I knew you would. That is why we love you so!

    Merete, så vondt å høre om faren din. Men vi får tro og håpe at det går bra, og gjøre det beste ut av hver eneste dag - som du sier! Så koselig det må være å jobbe på Lund. Jeg blir visst helt nostalgisk jeg også :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're so cute, Tamsin. I will try to think of something we can do. I hope for the best for your father!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Nancy! I have to tell you, it makes me feel pretty awesome every time I see that someone in Egypt has read my blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts